Feed on
Posts
Comments

Church

 


St Bartholomew, RedmarleySt Bartholomew, Redmarley

Services: please check Events calendar
Address: The Causeway, Redmarley, Gloucester GL19 3HS
Location: The church is located in the center of the village, please click here for map (arrow points to exact location of church on the Causeway).

Archdeaconry: GLOUCESTER
Parish Legal Name: Redmarley d’Abitot

 

The Revd Lara Bloom
The Rectory
St. Mary’s Close
Dymock GL18 2AX
(01531) 890919 / email

There has been a church in Redmarley since at least the 13th century, and part of the tower probably dates from that time; but the majority of the building goes back only to 1855 when most of the then existing building was in serious disrepair, demolished and rebuilt (though there remain some interesting artefacts from earlier times). There are six bells, which are rung by a local team on a regular basis. The single manual pipe organ was installed in 1864. Extensive repairs to the roof were completed in early 2010, but there remain some minor works identified in the last quinquennial inspection which are yet to be undertaken. The main body of the building is in a good state of repair and both it and part of the churchyard are beautifully maintained by a dedicated band of volunteers; the remainder of the churchyard is regularly mowed by a local firm. The composer Edward Elgar was a frequent visitor and married a Redmarley girl.

Rectors of St Bartholomew’s, Redmarley D’Abitot 1540-1835.

Architectural observations

Parish church.  Exterior: Medieval base to tower; 1738 upper part tower; rest of church 1855 by Francis Niblett. Tower squared, coursed stone approaching ashlar: remainder coursed, squared, nearly rock-faced stone, with lighter ashlar dressings: tiled roof.  West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, north vestry, south porch.  Three stage tower: west face plinth, diagonal corner buttresses, rising full height, upper parts slight projection only.  Two-light, Y-tracery window, ovolo moulded (1738) in cavetto surround: small, flat-headed lancet second stage, 2-light, Y-tracery window with louvres top stage, square recess and moulding. Moulded strings between stages and above third, crenellated battlements, bases at corners for diagonally-set pinnacles, since removed. South face: tower as west but bottom stage plain, marks from sharpening arrows in plinth. Nave: diagonal corner buttress, gabled top: short parapet gable to tower.  Two-light Decorated tracery window, hoodmould, head stops. Boarded door in arched, moulded surround, under timber-framed porch on low stone walls: gable opening with pierced spandrels, reticulated tracery to side lights, boarded gable, shaped bargeboards.  Two 3-light reticulated tracery windows each side. Roof alternating 2 rows plain, 2 rows fish-scale tiles. To right similar window as left of porch, square-set buttress, further 2-light window (tracery different in each), diagonal corner buttress. Parapet gable, base for cross at apex. Chancel, plinth, 2 lancets each side of a boarded door up one stone step, decorative hinges, shouldered arch, hoodmould. Crested ridge tiles. East end, plinth, diagonal corner buttresses to chancel; 3 stepped lancets, parapet gable with floriate cross on cross-gablet apex. Vestry gable set back on right, boarded door on left under arched head with hoodmould.  Two-light window, reticulated tracery, flat head, hoodmould with leaf stops. Diagonal corner buttress. Parapet gable, cross-gablet chimney outlet on apex, trefoil openings in gables. Aisle gable behind, spherical triangle in top, foiled, with hoodmould in parapet gable. Square-set gabled buttress.

Interior: nave plastered, 3-bay arcade, moulded capitals and bases, hoodmould with head stops at ends only: no clerestorey. Plain arch to chancel, moulded top only. Exposed rafters, arch-braced collar trusses, foiling in spandrels and top, rising from corbels with ballflower decoration: half trusses with collars only. North aisle roof as nave but simpler: plain east end.  Chancel, sill to east window on south taken down as sedilia: east end 3 lancets with hoodmoulds and corner columns, blind tracery each side. Pointed boarded vault, in panels. Painted stone pulpit, blind tracery to sides, corbelled off head near floor level. Octagonal stone font with blind tracery, on stem.  Communion rails early C18 with return ends: turned balusters.  Pews good C19, blind Gothic tracery to ends. Thirteen late C18,  early C19 wall monuments, 1609 brass on strapwork background, two fine monuments on west end nave. Hatchment and benefactions board  in tower, also 1704 headstone and 1757 chest. Forms group with Church House, The Inn House and Old Cottage (q.v.).
(The Rev. H. M. Niblett, A Short History of Redmarley d’Abitot, 1928/1981; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)

css.php