Feed on
Posts
Comments

Pevsner entries

Church of ST BARTHOLOMEW. W tower rebuilt in 1738 in ashlar, with three stages, an embattled parapet, and simple Gothick windows. The rest of the church – nave, N aisle, and chancel – re-built in E.E./Dec in 1854-5 by Francis Niblett. In the N aisle Lady Chapel an ALTAR and tester designed by Stephen Dykes Bower in 1932. – COMMUNION RAIL. C17. – STAINED GLASS. 1857 by Wailes. – PLATE. Chalice and Paten Cover 1571. – MONUMENTS. Brass to George Shipside † 1609 – John Moreton † 1789, by King of Bath – Judith Hicks † 1789 by Millard. – John Howe  1799, by Millard. Richard Morley † 1793, and another to his wife. Classical marble monuments with obelisks, urns, and heraldry. Joseph Cooper † 1831 by Cooke.

 

Several timber-framed cottages near the church. CHURCH HOUSE C16, ROCK FARM C16/17, timber-framed with jettied upper storey.

 

OLD RECTORY, ¼ m. E. A Queen Anne house on a moated site. Brick, two storeys and attics, 1-3-1 bays, segment headed windows with ornamented keys, and a crowning pediment with a later lunette window in the tympanum. The return elevation has a Late Georgian bow, with larger windows. C18 staircase with moulded balusters.

 

BURY COURT, 1 m. NE, contains a late c12 undercroft with a quadripartite rib-vault of three bays with moulded corbels; but of the hall itself no original features remain. The house was remodelled in the C18 and later.

 

THE DOWN HOUSE, 1¼ m. S.E. 1823 by Rickman. Neo-Greek.

Faced in stucco, with cornice and parapet, two storeys, and three bays. Doric portico with four fluted columns, below a central Venetian-type window. STABLES. Fine contemporary block with an archway surmounted by a round cupola with small Doric columns.

 

                                                                                                          

 

css.php